The Fort Lee Police Department was originally formed by ordinance on August 9, 1904. During this time, the council appointed six marshalls. However, the department was not formally established until October 5, 1927. During this time, another ordinance was enacted to equip, organize, and control the department. The first Police Chief was Andrew McDermott. He served the department for thirty-nine years. Council members Peter Cella, John Mallon, and John Reardon manned the police committee.
The Fort Lee Police Department has been headed by Chief Keith Bendul since January 1, 2013. Prior to that, the department had been headed by Thomas O. Ripoli from 2004 through the end of 2012.
The main divisions of the department are the Patrol Division, Detective Bureau, and the Traffic Division. The current table of organization calls for 112 sworn officers.
Fort Lee Police Memorial Square
On September 12, 2009, the Fort Lee Police Department dedicated the Fort Lee Police Memorial Square. This is a memorial dedicated to all Fort Lee police officers. The Mayor and Council of Fort Lee donated the land on which to build the memorial, and the rest of the funds were acquired in the form of donations. The park is located on the north end of Abbott Boulevard, in an area where many local residents walk. The project to build the memorial was spearheaded by Chief Thomas Ripoli and Officer Mark Finocchiaro. The memorial was built by workers from the borough's Department of Public Works. Fort Lee PBA President Detective Kevin Kosuda stated, "For every officer, they have a story and it's our duty to remember the officers that served in the line of duty."